Following the previous post on the Crit…. I took it upon me to develop somekind of manuscript or guidance manual for the crit. This will include the various topics which might be related to the crit.
This came after coming across, The Crit An Architecture Student’s Handbook: Seriously Useful Guides (Architectural Students Handbooks). This book by
Crit that has remained for many decades. The following notes will be a comment on a tradition that I see as resisting change and lack proressive vision and organisation.
This is the a booklet which I hope will be a gift to students at early stages of their career: Elements of the booklet will include
Crit Map: Using the layout of the Universities I attended and invited for th crit, we will place areas where the crit spaces are occurring in those environments. This is similar to most schools as the layout of many studios are ubiquitios.
Table of Contents
- History of the crit (Where it all started)
- Layout of the crit_ set up (communication of rigorous information/process to tutors) Studio Layouts
- Varies depending on school or the time of the year (formal and informal)
- Why crit? Assessment methods
- Characters in the crit
- Refer to pizza crit
- Preparation for Crit_
- It start with studio attendance and sharing of ideas
- (Start Making lines-There more the lines the better)There’s no time to lose nor is the room for vacillation_ The time to be creative is now, multitude are waiting for your ideas to manifest
- Sharing a meal with friends is always good idea
- That time will not manage itself. All it knows is to go around
- Get some sleep
- Tidy yourself up_ To shower or not shower. Don’t be like me and wait for the rain to turn up
- Types of students, which one are you?
- Presentations_ dress code_ please reflect a degree of professinalism or personality
- Presentation_ Work_ Don’t be intermidated by the questions
- The late night attitude? Why are you doing this to yourself
- Post crit (Some drink some cry the gloom and blooms of crits
- Resting phase- Invite friends for social/ leisure activity
- Absorption of ideas and the criticism received
- Development of Project Further_ architecture only stops when you we are tired of being creative or dead…
- Refining knowledge
- Developing your character_ mental dexterity
- Practice_ You are developing your practice method not relying on being employed
- Developing new professional values
You have the capacity to enhance the architectural profession with the knowledge we have accumulated thus far… and you will bringing new professional values…